Ten Favorite Quotes from and about Tom
1. 'Old grey Willow-man! I'll
freeze his marrow cold, if he don't behave himself. I'll sing his roots off.
I'll sing a wind up and blow leaf and branch away.'
2. 'Fear nothing! Have peace until the morning! Heed no nightly noises!'
3. 'Eldest, that's what I am. Mark my words, my friends: Tom was here before the river and the trees.'
4. For a second the hobbits had a vision both comical and alarming, of his bright blue eyes gleaming through a circle of gold.
5. 'Hey! Come Frodo, there! Where be you a-going? Old Tom Bombadil's not as blind as that yet. Take off your golden ring! Your hand's more fair without it.'
6. 'Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.'
7. 'So he sang, running fast, tossing his hat and catching it, until he was hidden by a fold of the ground: but for some time his hey now! hoy now! came floating back down the wind.'
8. 'I've got things to do, my making and my singing, my talking and my walking, and my watching of the country...and Goldberry is waiting!'
9. 'Few now remember them,' Tom murmured, 'yest still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking i the loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless.'
10. 'Fair was she who long ago wore this on her shoulder. Goldberry shall wear it now, and we will not forget her!'