Abbreviations and Terms used on our Boards:
Prancing Pony Menu
Pony Drinks Menu
The Supply Closet of the
- No text inside - should be used whenever the
subject line is your entire reply. This was only for
the "old style" threaded boards, not the
current phpbb ones.
- Information included within that may give
away details to someone who hasn't read all the
- Moderators, whose posts sometimes show up in
green. Generally very nice people, but if you
are ornery, beware the One Ring of Deletion!
- By The Way
- In My Opinion/In My Humble Opinion
- Laughing Out Loud
- Rolling on the floor laughing
- Rolling on the floor laughing my butt off,
alternately ROTFLMMO, (laughing my muu-muu off.)
- What someone thought the last part of
ROTFLMBO stood for. Now refers to doing a happy
- Happy Frodo Dance
- See "Mambo" above .
A reference to that funny little chicken dance
Frodo does at Bilbo's party, indicating the
person posting is doing likewise.
- Laughing So Hard I Wet My Muumuu
O.M.V. / O.M.O
- Laughing My Precious Off
My Viggo! / Oh My Orli!
- The Girls of the Prancing Pony
or, alternately, the
The Guests of the Prancing Pony
- Night Owl Girls, or Night Owl Group, those who
are regularly on the boards long after everyone
else is properly asleep.
- Istari Network News: the name given to MithrandirCQ's
- The Real World...that is, the non-virtual one
(not to be confused with RWW or Ringwraith-Wife,
a regular poster)
- Fingers/ Fringers/Phingers
- "Fake Ringers," that is ones who claim great
fanship but have not read the books.
- Classic Ringers, that is ones who read it a
long time ago and never seem to leave
- Fan Fiction. Very short works are also
- Someone who thinks the movie failed because
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins wasn't given enough
- Someone who thinks that even the hot dogs at
the concession stand in the theater showing Lord
of the Rings were perfect.
- Lord of the Rings
- Fellowship of the Ring
- The Two Towers
- Return of the King
- The Extended Edition of the DVD
- The Prancing Pony message board
- The Fellowship message board
- Middle-earth, or the Middle Earth board.
- The Red Book message board
- Peter Jackson
- Some actor who plays a little person, also
known as "Those Eyes."
- Some actor who plays a dwarf.
- Pin-the-tail-on-the-post, a game played at the
Prancing Pony in which one person posts "Pin"
(as the first reply) preferably within one
minute of someone else's new thread being
started. The goal was to be the first person to
"Pin" the thread-starter. This was a common game
on the 'Old Old Boards' with its timestamps.
- 1. Acting in an undignified way while
obsessing over a celebrity.
2. Acting normally in the Fellowship Board
- What you find on the floor in the Fellowship
- Dust Bunnies
- The pets that live in a cardboard box under
the bar of the Prancing Pony. They eat coffee
beans, and are generally cuddly.
- It apparently has some connection to drool.
Are you frightened? Not frightened enough!
- Muumuu / Mu'u mu'u / Mumu
- Nefarious bit of clothing worn by both Legolas
at the Council of Elrond and by certain late
night posters at the Prancing Pony.
- Marshmallows in the shape of members of the
Fellowship plus Haldir. Frequently found
floating in the hot cocoa of the Prancing Pony.
- Monophobia (Monophobe)
- Fear of being alone. Usually manifests in the
PP when the pages are flying by furiously, yet
with regular posts asking "Am I the only one
here? Where is everyone?"
- Athazagoraphobia (Athazagoraphobe)
- Fear of being ignored. Usually manifests in
any of the boards when someone posts something
they feel is important (that doesn't necessarily
require a reply) and then two minutes later
complains "Doesn't anyone want to read what I
- Fear of being a Ringer. Usually manifests in
the co-workers, friends and family of serious
fans who "don't get it." Includes such tell-tale
comments as "You're all just a bunch of
Trekkies." and "You aren't really going to wear
that in public, are you?" May involve faked
death-by-embarrassment scenes, frequent rolling
of eyes and heavy sighing.
- Mb Etiquette 101
- FAQ : How do I know which board
to post on? And can I just post the same thing
on all of them if I can't make up my mind?
- Look closer - there is a simple summary by
each one telling what they are for. The Prancing
Pony is the catch-all if you aren't sure, but it
still has to be family-friendly. And no, you
can't post the same thing on all of them - this
is considered spamming and they will often be
taken down. Newbies to message-board posting are
encouraged to read the blurb about Mb Etiquette. If
it's in the wrong place, our friendly mods may
relocate it to the proper area.
- FAQ : Why is Gimli in the
- Gimli was a regular at the Pony from it's
earliest days, usually being content to sit at
(or under) the bar. But his habit of slurping on
noses with horrible slurping sounds caused him
to be relegated to the refrigerator, which keeps
him in a state of semi-hibernation and helps use
up the leftovers at the same time. He even has
his own cushion in there and is brought out for
dry-cleaning from time to time. Aragorn
has taken up residency in the dishwasher, but it
doesn't seem to have done much for his hair
yet. You may find other Fellowship members
occasionally lurking in the cupboards or
- FAQ : Can I post my fan-fic on
the Red Book board?
- Yes! If it is family-friendly and based on LOTR
(not just sort of set in a middle-earthish world
with your own characters) you are welcome to
post it at the "Red
Book". Mary-sues and graphic works
are discouraged. Not all items are collected for
archiving, but all such items can certainly be
shared with the fans there. If it is non-LOTR,
please use the "Beyond
the Farthings" forum.
- FAQ : What are smurfs?
- Little blue vermin with white hats that
occasionally invade the Pony, especially if too
many crumbs are dropped on the floor. They are
difficult to exterminate, but making them into
smurf-ka-bobs, smurf nuggets and blue smoothies
(the origin of colored "goo") has proved
effective in the past.
- FAQ: What is goo? And if
someone offers me some, should I drink it?
- Goo is a drink originally concocted with a The
One Blender of Power that comes in an infinite
variety of colors and flavors, the most common
being either blue (see "smurfs" above) or
rainbow. You may partake without long-term
effects, though rainbow goo often makes people
float up into the rafters. Lately some of
our patrons have taken more to throwing it at
one another in a perpetual foodfight than to
drinking it. The effects of this are
messy, but not harmful.
- FAQ : Who or what was Legolas
Hamster of Mirkwood?
here for info on this ususual furry
- FAQ : What's with all the
- They are (((((((hugs)))))))), the more
parentheses, the longer and stronger the virtual
- FAQ: What is a "Character
- For quite some time, a 24 hour "day" was
devoted to a Tolkien character and hosted on the
Board. All were welcome to post stories,
songs, poems, essays, links, top ten lists,
parodies, etc. etc. which were gathered up for
section of this Scrapbook site. The 'Days' were
decided by popular vote, usually alternating
major and minor characters. Having gone
through most of the main characters, they've
been set aside for now. We do occasionally
have other events for
various holidays, such as the Valentine's party,
or our annual Mathom Exchange.
- FAQ: What are those funny
numbers after my post?
(This pertained to the "old-old boards"
- Those are a time and date stamp, showing when
your post was made. The "board time"
was set in Eastern Standard Time for the United
States. Theme Days, for instance, ran midnight
to midnight by the "fanclub clock."
Here is a link to a World
Clock so you can compare where you
are with any of the other fans, or with the
fanclub clock. The current
boards "fanclub clock" is set in Pacific
Standard Time but it rarely matters as each
person may now set their own viewing time in
their own profile.
- FAQ: Can I post lots of pictures
- (this pertains to the 'new' Fellowship of
- Yes and no. You may post pictures all
you like, but we ask that you not just post 'for
the heck of it', please keep them related to the
topic at hand. Images are not to be kept in signatures,
sorry! The reason for this is some of our
members have slow connections or older equipment
and the images really slow it down for them as
well as creating visual clutter everyone has to
constantly scroll past. A thread is
provided under Artwork
for you to share your graphic banners and other
images with the community.
- We want the boards equally fun for everyone,
not frustrating, so they can choose to view
images-heavy threads when they have the time for
it to load and not be suddenly bogged down
everywhere they turn. Please put "images" or
"pictures" in your subject header if starting a
new topic that involves lots of pictures and
keep them at 500
pixels or less maximum size. At this
time we don't host images, so you'll have to be
linking to them from someplace else - search for
"free image hosting" and you should find several
options like Photobucket, etc.
- FAQ: Old boards, new boards,
- In brief, this community started with the "One
Board" - a single forum hosted at Decipher about
four months before the release of FotR at the
theaters. By the time the movie was
released, it had become four forums, what we
call the "Old-Old Boards." (OOB) These
were old-style threaded view webbbs boards, with
no images. Three years later, Decipher
changed their boards to a rather sterile colored
phpbb "boxy" flat view, and there were mixed
feelings on this event. These would be the
"Old Boards." This change coupled with ads
and frequent difficulties in server, host and
service brought about the switch to our own "New
Boards" one year later at LOTRfanmb.com
which remains our current home. The new
name for the forums was voted on by the
community in April '06, becoming the Fellowship of
Middle-earth, and we added the
LOTRfellowship domains at that time. The
current FoME boards were transferred to Daughter of King's
administration at the end of 2011.
- FAQ: So, is this place related
to Decipher or not?
only in the sense that it is where this
community found its beginning in October of
2001, and then persevered in spite of various
difficulties with that hosting company. This
site has never been officially affiliated with
them and remains an "unofficial" fan-run,
non-profit site. Archiving has been drawn solely from
our own LOTRfellowship/
Fellowship of Middle-earth boards
beginning in August, 2005. We do have
Decipher's permission to keep copies of the
information on the fan
magazines they published, kept under Galleries.
Elvish terms you might
see or use:
No guarantees on accuracy. They are a mix of
Sindarin and Quenya.
- Elvish for Ringers -- what we are. "I am a
Cormar. We are Cormari" (Pronounced KAHRR-marree
with the double R's trilled and the A pronounced
- Sponge Warrior
- Nai tiruvantel ar varyuvantel i Valar
tielyanna nu vilya.
- May the Valar protect you on your path under
- Meneg suilaid
- Many greetings
- Mano mardenna?
- Your place or mine?
- Ai! Ai!
- A Balrog! A Balrog is come!